Dress to Express

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dress to Express

Sara Mazrawi, Writer

For the past few weeks, senior journalists, Sara Mazrawi and Rahma Soliman, have been photographing eye-catching and interesting outfits to share through their Valkyrie Twitter using the hashtag “#CorridorCouture”. The students, ranging in grade levels, were asked to describe what inspired their ‘Corridor Couture’ of the day. Slowly but surely, the idea started to catch on and the twitter posts got more and more attention. At first, tweets would get somewhere around five likes, but as more people started following the account, likes eventually reached twenty-five and over.  On a superficial level, this might seem meaningless, but on a deeper level, this is a celebratory act that showcases all the different styles and identities. This would not have been possible had there been a uniform system implemented. Students would not be able to put their feelings, thoughts, and moods on display in the form of fashion, rather, it would be hidden behind polo shirts and khakis. 

While the practice of a uniform system for schools does have lots of benefits and advantages, it comes with a sad and frustrating side. Had there been a uniform, Junior Curtis Moore would have never been able to come to school with his outfit inspired by “thrift shopping and [skating]”. His outfit was especially unique because he chose to mix and match different elements that would not normally go together and made an outfit that represents who he is and what he likes. He wore a dusty green shirt with a fun floral print, and paired it up with a collared shirt underneath, making the outfit more structured. As for the bottom, he wore loose fitted baggy pants with paint splatter on it, adding to the look a more edgy vibe. 

Had there been a uniform, seniors Tehya James (left) and Nathaly Novello (right) couldn’t have worn their 90s retro-inspired outfits. In general, students wouldn’t be able to wear outfits inspired by their favorite band, or their favorite TV series. 

They wouldn’t be able to be apart of a movement and show support on days like Alopecia Awareness day by wearing blue. They wouldn’t be able to practice the core fundamentals and values of being an American. They would be silenced of their freedom of speech – their First Amendment. The point being, having the freedom to wear what you wish is a powerful form of expression that allows you to know yourself and the community that surrounds you.