Parading as a Viking

Rahma Soliman, Writer

Every Homecoming season, Woodbridge Senior High School holds its annual Homecoming Parade, and this year it was held on Friday, October 25th. Many people may know it due to its immense backup that it creates on Old Bridge Road on a friday afternoon, however, the Woodbridge community looks forward to the annual Homecoming festivities. The parade is organized by student leaders in the school community, although, many different groups participate in the parade. Many PWCS board members and local politicians are known to participate in the parade as well. Countless school organizations, clubs, such as Key Club, Art Club, German and Italian Club, as well as Woodbridge sports teams, such as Swim and Dive, Field Hockey, Cheerleading, Girl’s Soccer, and many more. 

When asked about her opinion about the parade, senior cheerleader, Ava Hernandez stated, “I look forward to this parade every year because my teammates and I always have a blast handing out candy to the children from the elementary school and being able to see our community come together!”

The 2019 Homecoming Court was also highlighted during the parade, which included Homecoming Royalty from every grade level including the senior homecoming nominees. The students nominated for Homecoming Court are nominated by their peers for truly embodying what it means to be a Viking, inside and outside of the building. The class of 2023 had two nominees, the class of 2022 and 2021 had 4 nominees each, and the class of 2020, the senior class, had 6 nominees total. This years senior male nominees included Bryan Grylik, RJ Adams, and Ronald Marquez, and the senior female nominees included Felicia Hernandez, Vanessa Laumbach, and Genesis Morales. The senior Homecoming King and Queen are then announced at the Homecoming Game, which takes place that following evening. 

The parade has been a part of Woodbridge tradition for numerous years but it truly isn’t possible without the attendance and help of the community, parents, and of course, the students. This continued tradition has been apart of Woodbridge history that has many alumni coming back for it, and many younger children looking forward to being apart of it.