4 years later

Katelyn Kosar, Writer

When looking back on the Varsity Girls soccer program here at Woodbridge there is no denying that this is one of the elite programs here. For Captain, Ally Praul, they have even gone undefeated, to regionals, and won districts while she was a member on the team. 

Ally has blossomed into an unstoppable center-midfielder who has been playing on Varsity ever since her freshman year. She is one of two seniors who are four-year members of this very selective team. As her final season rolls around, she had a lot to say about the season, her favorite traditions, and even if she is excited to play on the new field which WGVS has yet to earn their first win on. 

Tryouts concluded for both J.V. and Varsity this past Wednesday where teams were announced and when asked about how she felt about the season she did not hesitate to express her confidence in the team. “I feel like this season we’re going to be pretty successful since we have a strong group of returning girls and… there are strong underclassmen joining the team,” Ally noted. The Varsity team lost 9 players and our manager and former editor and chief Sam Viavo. At the end of last season, with the girls’ first loss of the season to T.C. Williams, spirits were low as they lost 10 of their very best. Ally commented that this season is “going to be a little different since we graduated so many seniors last year,” and went on to add that, “as a team, I hope to be able to compete throughout the district and be a strong contender for champions. Personally, I’m striving to make first or second-team all-conference.”

Changing the focus of the team’s tactics to traditions, Ally also talked about the strange traditions which have been kept alive for years now. One of those is kissing a Beanie Baby dog named Caterpillar which is done religiously before each game. In addition to the non-traditional traditions, this will be the first year that the girls will not have to drive to Hellwig field to practice after school. 

Last season, the girls did not have a home game at all and still were able to pull out an undefeated season as district champions. Ally felt that “practicing at the new field is going to be so nice and such a stress relief that [the team] won’t have to drive to Hellwig anymore.” In regards to games, she felt “super excited to play on the new field, especially since we had to play every game away last year.” 

When asked what she wanted her teammates to know, Ally reflected, “One thing I want my teammates to know as the season begins is to just have fun. We all have to be optimistic and positive about the new team coming in, but being a senior, I just want to have fun and make the most out of my last year on the team.” With these parting words, the girls only have their games to prove that once again that they are the best of the best and not to be underestimated when on the pitch. 

The season begins on Thursday, March 5th against Colonial Forge at 7:30 and it will be their first home game on the new field.