Childhood Nostalgia Costume-ized

Cartoons–which are a large part of childhood nostalgia–have been reimagined as outfits for trendy teens. 

Halloween was a hit this year after students came back to school post the two-year lockdown. There were many ideas for costumes that were popular among students; for Vikings that looked for costumes on a tight budget, here are some ideas for next year to save you time.

One costume idea is Dora the Explorer. An easy way to dress up as the classic character is to find a pastel pink shirt with khaki shorts. However, splurging about $15 for the iconic purple backpack can really tie in the look. 

On the topic of Nickelodeon shows, another great choice is Trixie Tang–the love interest of Timmy Turner from “Fairly Odd Parents.” This idea works both as a solo or couples costume. Layer on a purple shirt or turtleneck sweater with a pleated white tennis skirt. Accessorize with a matching headband to complete the look. For Timmy’s outfit, add denim jeans and a matching pink hat. 

This could even be made into a group costume by adding the characters for which “Fairly Odd Parents” was named: Wanda and Cosmo. A simple yellow shirt and black pants combo for Wanda and a white button-down with a black tie for Cosmo will be a wonderful addition to this group look.

Another popular idea is Flora from Winx club. Fairy wings are an easy find at Claire’s or even The Dollar Tree, and a sage peasant style satin blouse can be bought from H&M for $8. Pair this with a pink mini skirt and this makeshift outfit becomes the colorful and well-known character. Another option for this character is Dollskill; their Winx club collaboration consists of separately bought light green blouses and strawberry patterned skirts to create Flora’s everyday outfit. Dollskill has more collaborative items for the rest of the Winx girls for group costumes. 

The final character lives in a pineapple under the sea: Spongebob Squarepants! Using a white button-down, red tie, and khaki shorts, students can dress up as this lovable character to enjoy the Halloween season.

These nickelodeon-inspired looks are designed for students of all genders and financial circumstances. Have a safe and happy Halloween!