Woodbridge Walkout

Thursday March 12th, students of Woodbridge Highschool protested Roe v Wade by walking out to the football field in the middle of second period. Freshman student Kera Appel organized the walkout in only two days. “I got inspiration from my mom, she told me about Roe v Wade. Then schools started doing walkouts so I asked the principal if our school could.” stated Kera. Her and other students made signs to show support at Woodbridge. 

When 9:45 hit, students flooded the halls and walked down to the field. People raised signs and yelled about the issue. Since the walkout wasn’t planned too far ahead, it was very disorganized. When Kera tried to speak to the crowd they weren’t taking her seriously and she was talked over. People were doing flips in the crowd and someone was crowd surfing. Condoms and tampons were being thrown into the air, some being inflated and thrown around. 

There were many people supporting the walk out but some students came to protest and spread their opposing opinion. One freshman student pulled out an essay as he was questioned about his opinions on pro life. It was read and argued over and got passed around the crowd, eventually being torn. Junior student Colin stated “I do not support the walkout, it was more of a party than a protest.” Multiple pro-life students were being yelled at and getting trash and waterbottles thrown at them. 

The students of Woodbridge Highschool should have taken this walk out more seriously because the overturning of Roe v Wade will impact a lot of people and is a sensitive issue for some. Junior student Markus Awosika stated “The walkout was very hectic, most people were just there to skip” The overturning of this law does not ban abortion outright but it puts the decition on individual states, risking harsh regulations or banning it altogether. Make sure to research your representatives and vote if you are able. If Roe v Wade gets overturned, passing laws through the state will be the only way to secure the right of our bodily autonomy.