Football Team Kicks off the Season with Winning Streak

Mikayla Eaton, News Editor

The Woodbridge football team’s fall season is just getting started, and their bond is closer than ever. The varsity team is on a three-game winning streak. While JV has one win and one tie. This year there is an increase in athletes who have joined the team and are taking the sport seriously. They have a strong defense which includes recurring players, and the offense is making progress every day.  

Earlier this season Coach Longerbeam said, “The goal is to improve week by week. We want to continue to move our program forward.” This season he wants to build up his team and strive for success. Earlier this season he and the selected players went to several colleges and universities to compete in 7-vs-7 tournaments. Putting in extra effort to get these students exposure shows he cares, and his team is committed to winning 

Workouts are ruff and most days they are sore. Dankwa says, “Everything is worth it once we are under those Friday night lights”. Ethan Horn and other players described the game as their therapy, one night a week where they can release all their anger and cannot get in trouble. For most it is just a game but for these guys it’s a way to release their emotions. 

The team is not always so earnest, Michael Dankwa said, “we are like family; we can joke with each other in a way you normally wouldn’t with your friends”. They are close on and off the field, from joking and horse play to working well together during games. 

This football team has good hearts and immense potential. They work hard every practice and aim to get better, with the help of their coach. The team is noticeably confident and ready to tackle their next opponent the forest park Bruins after this bye week.