Outdoor Track is Establishing Themselves as a Dominant Force in the District

The Indoor Track season just wrapped up and they are getting ready for an exciting Outdoor season.

Indoor Track finished with states in February. Torian Clark-Stewart’s won the class 6 state title for High Jump. The 4×8 boys’ team (Jaiden Lockhart, Gavin Kegler, Nate Mcmahon, Hayden Goodman) got 3rd. Hayden Goodman ran the 1600, got 3rd place and broke a 48-year school record with a 4:19.90. Gavin Kegler ran the 500 as well.

The Outdoor Boys’ Team are hungry after winning the district title for indoor. There are a lot of guys from different sports trying out for the team this season. Coach McCarthy says that “Woodbridge has added depth to its sprint, throw and jump squads.” With all the new athletes, there are still some great returns. Torian Clark-Stewart (Senior), returns as state champion in high jump and Hayden Goodman (Sophomore) who broke the 48-year-old 1600 school record. Other key athletes in the race to states are sprinter Anthony Gibson (Junior), and mid-distance runners Jaiden Lockhart (Senior) and Gavin Kegler (Senior).

On the Girls’ team they are ready for a season full of growths. They got 4th place in the district and are eager for top 3 at district. Coach McCarthy says “There are a lot of new girls, so this team has a lot of potential” and “some strong relay prospects with considerable depth in the sprints and distance squads.” One of the star new girls is Kylia Duplessis (Freshman), and she shows promise in the multis! With the influx of new athletes, there are also a lot of returns. Jill Crunkilton (Senior), Destinee Nawee (Junior), and Penny Nowell-Shortt (Sophomore) and some star returns, Laila Thomas (Sophomore) in the sprints and jumps and Liana Eberly (Freshman) in distance.

Track and field are ready for a amazing season with lots of breathtaking races, throws and jumps!