THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

New Year New You?

Happy New Year! Another year has passed, but we are still here as the clock strikes midnight and the ball drops. “New year, new me?” That is the phrase we all hear, but what will we do to make it a reality? It can only go so far. 

We’re all tired of making New Year’s resolutions that never work out because we say them. “Oh, I am going to exercise more,” “eat better,” and so on, but do not say how. 

As the weather gets colder, people feel down and try to survive. Let us start small and plan how to achieve our goals instead of diving right in. Running 10 miles a day and eating only carrots is not feasible in the long term for most people. 

Eating healthier is a big one. You may want to lose weight or feel better about yourself, but changing your lifestyle is hard, so you must start small. 

Try substituting things you eat, like chips with apple chips, instead of bringing chips to snack on. Minor changes can make an enormous difference, and apple chips are a healthy choice. It is all about balance, so think of “My Plate.” You can have a sweet treat, but make sure you are also getting protein, grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. Try to achieve a good balance; have one for a cookie after dinner. The stricter your diet, the harder it is to stick to it. Consistency is key. Everything is ok in moderation. 

Exercise is another widespread goal people try to work on, but staying consistent is the hard part. Who wants to work out every day? It is hard and painful when you find time to go to the gym and lift weights. People have work, school, and family obligations. However, there are many things you can do that take little time to keep moving. Everyone must start somewhere; you can only do it a little at a time. Even walking your dog can benefit your mental and physical health. 

According to the Better Health Channel, there are numerous health benefits to walking, such as increased cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness, reduced risk of heart disease and stroke, improved management of conditions like hypertension, high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes, stronger bones, improved balance, increased muscle strength and endurance, and reduced body fat. 

Some suggestions to build walking into your daily routine include taking the stairs instead of the lift, getting off public transport one stop earlier and walking to work or home, walking instead of driving to local shops, and walking your dog or neighbors.  

It can also benefit your mental and physical health, according to WebMD. Some benefits of regular exercise include improved sleep, better endurance, stress relief, improved mood, increased energy and stamina, reduced tiredness, which can increase mental alertness, weight loss, reduced cholesterol, and improved cardiovascular health. 

Now, you can go out and live a happy, healthy life and put your plans into motion instead of just talking about them.