THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

The Stanley Take Over

Photo illustration by Slate. Photos by Amazon and Getty Images Plus.
Liana Eberly

If you walk down the street, you will see so many people bright Stanley Quenchers but how did it go form blue-collar men  to the hands of white suburban women everywhere. 

In 2016, a new product called the Quencher was introduced with little attention. This insulated cup can hold up to 40 ounces and is priced between $45 and $55. Its design features a handle for easy carrying and a tapered shape that fits snugly into a car’s cup holder.  

In 2020, Stanley brought on Terence Reilly as its new president. Reilly had spent the past seven years at Crocs, where he made an objectively ugly shoe with holes on top, the coolest shoe on the market. 

When Reilly came on board, he did a listening tour. In 2016, a new product called the Quencher was introduced with little attention. This insulated cup can hold up to 40 ounces and is priced between $45 and $55. Its design features a handle for easy carrying and a tapered shape that fits snugly into a car’s cup holder.  

In 2020, Stanley hired Terence Reilly as its new president. Previously, Reilly had spent the past seven years at Crocs, where he led the strategy that turned rubber clogs into one of the hottest shoes on the market.  

Upon joining Stanley, Reilly conducted a listening tour around the company to gather employee feedback about what was working well and what was not. During this tour, an employee mentioned a group of women in Utah who ran a commerce blog called The Buy Guide.  

One of the Buy Guide cofounders, Ashlee LeSueur, purchased her first Quencher at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond store in 2017. She fell in love with the product and quickly began gifting it to friends and recommending it to her followers.  

The company heard from employees about what was working and what was not. One employee mentioned a group of women in Utah who ran a commerce blog called The Buy Guide.  

Buy Guide cofounder Ashlee LeSueur purchased her first Quencher at a Bed Bath and Beyond store in 2017. She fell in love with the product and quickly began gifting it to friends and recommending it to followers.  

CNBC reported that the Quencher had helped Stanley grow its annual sales of $70 million a year to $750 million over the past four years. 

Stanley is now everywhere you look, with bright and beautiful colors. That is how those bright colors came from the dark green thermos in the hands of blue-collar men to the hands of white suburban women everywhere.