THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

OBES Students show creativity and excitement in the book parade at WSHS!

OBES students parading through the halls surrounding by cheering WSHS students

Last Friday morning, about 500 students from Old Bridge Elementary came to WSHS. They paraded around the halls in celebration of National Read Across America Day dressed up as their favorite book characters. 

Many high school classes lined the halls anxiously waiting for the children to arrive. When they finally did, everyone was cheering with joy. WSHS Librarian, Mrs. Kelly remarked that the high school students were “cheering and clapping” as the OBES students paraded through the halls carrying books and dressed up as book characters from those books. 

The event only included the classes from the World Language and English side of the school which is why some WSHS students may not have known about the event, but Mrs. Kelly explained “After the incredibly positive feedback from both schools, we plan to expand the event [next year] to include as many teachers and classes who would like to be a part of it.” 

A pair of young ladies dressed up as Dr. Seuss’ Thing 1 and Thing 2

Some of the lesser common outfits were the Lorax and Where’s Waldo and a dragon. One student even dressed up as what appeared to be a tree in Autumn. The most common outfits seen in the parade though, were Harry Potter and the ‘things’ from Dr. Seuss. OBES Librarian, Mrs. Hundley’s favorite was a little boy dressed like the Titanic. His hat was the smokestack.”

The benefits for both elementary and high school students were both astounding in this event. From mental health and learning benefits to even physical benefits, there were many. English teacher Mr. McCarthy mentioned how it “evoked energy from the high schoolers which [he has] not seen in a long time.” He also said that it benefited the elementary schoolers as they got to “feel like a hero for reading.” 

But don’t forget that there was a point to it, it was to show that reading is not boring or something you do just to check a box, but that reading can be full of excitement, joy, and creativity. Happy belated National Read Across America Day everyone!!