THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

Cross Country is Eyeing the District Title!

The XC Vikings celebrate after a successful RVA Relays outside Richmond.

The cross-country team is ready for a great season, and all their 45-mile weeks this summer are to pay off!

Overall, the boys’ and girls’ teams had more consistent miles over the summer, so they have a robust base going into the season.

Championship season is coming up faster than ever! Coach McCarthy says, “The boys are talking about getting to states.” It will be a little harder for the girls because they still have such a young team, but they are still fighting to get in.

They have some new freshmen from both sides showing up! Caroline Drunasky is the new rising star on the girl’s side, along with Bradley Johnson and Gabe Anderson. They provide some excellent depth for the team.

The mental side of cross country is a big part of sports. It is just them and the woods and fields for miles and miles. Caroline Drunasky says the thing that gets her through the brutal practice is “everybody on team positive energy.” Penny Nowell Shortt says a good mindset she likes to have for the team is “we are so much stronger than we think” which gets her through the challenging races and runs. Athletes work hard to push through the pain. Bradley Johnson says the thing that keeps him going is “the dog in him to outrun the other schools.”

The cross-country team is off to a great start and ready for a great season! They already have a meet under their belts. They raced RVA relays, and the girls and boys placed very well. The boys placed 3rd in the A race, and the girls placed 1st in the B race. They are starting on a good leg!

View Comments (1)