THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

They did it again!

The Woodbridge Vikings 4×800 relay team consisting of Nathanial McMahon, Hayden Goodman, Cameron McDuffie and Owen Renquist, claimed yet another state title at the VHSL Indoor Track State Championship on February 29th 

“It feels good to win two state championships in my last year of high school,” Senior Nate McMahon said after the Vikings ran a blazing 7:49.99 which placed them at the top among the other 12 competing teams. “We did it in the fall for Cross Country, we did it again in the winter, watch how we do it again in the spring,” Mcduffie said the preparation before the meet helped a lot and he accredited much of their success to the coaching staff, “Couldn’t have done this without them and I’m blessed to have the best coaching staff in the area.”  

To start the event 1st leg, Cameron McDuffie easily overtook the race despite the staggered start and maintained control of the race throughout his portion. The baton was then passed to Owen Renquist who kept the foot on the pedal for the Vikings even though he got overtaken after the first 200m, he was able to keep the gap relatively close for the Vikings. Next came the third leg Nathan McMahon, who quickly closed the gap by the first 250m, taking first place in the race again. Finally, McMahon passed it to Hayden Goodman who instantly took off and maintained first all through his run and closed the final 100m strong and let out a victory screech at the end when he crossed the finish line to cement the Vikings 1st place spot in the state final 

With the Spring season coming up the Vikings look to claim yet another state title, “We proved we can do it twice in the same year might as well show everyone we can do it three times.”