THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

Baby Its cold Outside

Indoor Track season is here! Even when nobody else is out there, they grind in the cold and give it their all. To Build this indoor track team to great heights. 

The athletes grip a large, frigid metal ball and hurl it with all their might, finding ways to warm up beforehand and throw it as far as possible. Castro Nuovo (FR) says you must “just man up.” Despite the cold, you must pull yourself together and get it done. Even though it’s difficult, it must be accomplished. He has to get out there and do it and remember all the gains it gives him.  The little things will lead to great wins as the season goes on. 

Distance runners still must go on those long runs and give it their best shot, even if it is freezing and hard to breathe. Their leg muscles get cold. Making moving difficult, but they persevere. Penny Nowell Shortt (JR) says that the thing that helps her most is “gaslighting herself, saying that it’s sunny and warm and she is at the beach with her toes in the sand.” It is all in their heads and helps them think about something they love; for Penny, it’s the beach. 

Cameron McDuffie (JR) says he is “praying for the sun.” Just the thought of the sun makes him happy. That makes Them push for sunny days so they can run faster in the sun with the wind blowing through their hair!  

The sprinters face the same challenge. Despite the cold, they must run as fast as possible, even if their legs and arms will not move. Jadyn Lawrence-Scruggs (JR) says, “My mucus is freezing to heart and lungs.” It is challenging because that makes it hard to breathe because of all the mucus build up. 

Jadyn goes on and says that the “Coach don’t even care”. They make them do hard work lost of hills to build their strength Coach MacCarthy says “of course they care that why we push them so Hard”. They want the very best for the whole team and sometimes that means putting in the hard work now so they can be great later!  

Bronson Andrasz (SR) says, “his hands get ready to numb and slide down the pole.” It can be challenging to Run holding this long metal pole and use it to launch himself up. It is already hard when it is warm but even harder when it is cold. Despite knowing you can do better, pushing yourself can be mentally taxing. However, Andrasz says it helps because he “knows his strength.” He must remember that he can do it and is strong, which allows him to get far!

The indoor track team is out there, working hard to achieve their goals, no matter how cold. The track team has so much dedication and they’re excited for a great season!