THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

Making Waves Together: Swim Team Unification

The Woodbridge Swim Team sees themselves not as separate boys and girls team, but instead as a family who pushes themselves towards greatness. Junior captain Caleb Evans says it can be “hard to bridge the gap” between the girls and the boys.  

However, this year the captains and coaches have pushed more gender inclusive ideas during practices and meets. Junior captain Kathryn Haddock adds that despite the difficulty “everyone gets along and can joke together.”  

Haddock explained that a job the captains have is to lead a cheer at the beginning of meets and practices. She thinks “the cheer really brings everyone together” and “gets the team hyped about swimming.”  

There’s new leadership within the swim team in captains as well as coaches. New Head coach Megan Bohabot has shifted the team’s focus this year in and out of the water. She wants them to act like a team during school hours and emphasize team spirit. The coaches and captains are trying to push ideas that swim is one team and they’re all working towards the same goal.  

When in the water at meets Coach Bohabot pushes the swimmers to their personal best. She believes it will help them reach a district title in the future. Haddock adds that she “likes coach’s goals” and that she’s excited for the season with Coach Bohabot. 

Both previously mentioned captains have stepped into their roles as team leaders quite well. Caleb says that lots is done behind the scenes but that he “appreciates the opportunity to lead the team.” Haddock shares the sentiment but says the task isn’t particularly pressing due to the wonderful team chemistry.  

The captains also spoke about the level of athleticism certain swimmers have risen to, they’re hoping to push the team to districts, regionals, and states this season. Despite the challenges of new leadership and the blending of a co-ed team, the swim team is hoping to make waves amongst district competition.