THE VALKYRIE

The Student News Site of Woodbridge Senior High School

THE VALKYRIE

THE VALKYRIE

Shooting Stars

The Woodbridge Vikings boys’ basketball teams aim to show that last season was a fluke and aim to make playoffs again this year. “We came into determined to show that we are still a top team in the area.”

Currently the Vikings hold a record of 10-9 coming off a 65-50 win against the Hylton Bulldogs on February 9th. The Vikings stand at 10-9 and rank 10th in the region and with 2 games left they look to make a final playoff push to punch their ticket to the playoffs.

The Vikings have been up and down all season winning 5 out of 7 regional games which is a major important from their record of 2-10 record last season. Coach Courtney Coffer says, “This year our players are really buying into the team and executing what we work on in practice.” Last season, scoring was a major issue on the team, with the Vikings scoring over 65 points 3 times out of their 12 regional games, “We couldn’t get the ball into the basket last year, so this year we really are focusing on are ability to finish possessions.”

The Vikings have shown that they struggle offensively specifically behind the arc shooting only 26% from 3 and 66% from the free throw line, however the Vikings have shown their strength on the defensive side averaging 10 deflections, 8 steals and 2 blocks per game. Coach Coffer credits his defensive success to “The kid’s will and want to defend. They communicate well and it leads to turnovers by the other teams and opportunities for us.”

The Vikings now have one final game to clinch a spot in the district playoffs versus the Gar-Field Red-Wolves at Gar-Field on Tuesday February 13th. With the season on the line the Vikings hope they can pull off a W to keep their hopes alive.